As we talk about how it takes a village this month, community is the underlying theme – coming together in pursuit of health and wellness. Eating foods that are in season wherever you live, will allow you to support your local farmers. Eating local has so many benefits for your health and for our environment. We suggest finding a great cookbook to help you find great recipes that use what’s in season at your local market.
Some benefits to eating local foods:
- Fresh food tastes better! That just can’t be denied…
- Lessen your carbon footprint
- Support your local economy
- As Michael Pollan says, “Eat your view.” Preserve your local green spaces
- Step outside your comfort zone. Eating seasonal foods will shake up your routine and introduce foods you might not normally cook with.
- Get more bang for your buck – fresh food is going to keep longer
- Last but certainly not least, get to know your community