Today we kick off our magic moments series. What’s a magic moment you ask? Well, we aren’t going to go there…we’ll leave that your wild imaginations. Whoa, calm down.
At Prescribe Nutrition we call a magic moment the instant you realize a food is more than just a food. The moment when you find out that brazil nuts are packed with selenium and can actually serve as ‘medicine’ for your thyroid. Ok, so I ruined that magic moment. It was mine a few years back. But have you had it? Did a little choir start to play in the background? And beautiful twinkly lights appear? And perhaps you realized that the nut you may have dug around and avoided in the nut mix might have, in fact, been the most powerful of them all..? That now when you see a brazil nut you may just take out anyone in the way of getting between you that precious selenium? Btw, we support that.
Well that’s a magic moment, and a couple times a month we are going to deliver more of those. You’ll have to cue the music and lights, but get ready as we drop the nutrition bombs that will hopefully change you’re way of looking at… PARSLEY & CILANTRO. Yep, today is the day that those wacky little greens are getting the credit they much deserve.
Let’s break it down. This will blow your doors off.
Parsley brings you these benefits. No joke.
- Healthy immune system
- A healthy heart
- Vitamin K
- Kills bacteria. Take that you bugs.
- Vitamin C absorbs iron better. Um… thank you.
- Prevents bad breath. Lets talk close.
- Purifies the blood and dissolves cholesterol. I love purified blood.
- Eases diarrhea. Bet you didn’t know that.
- Helps to eliminate excess water from your system (weight loss). Oh hey…
- Helps to regulate menstruation cycles. Ladies!
- Balances hormones. And… gentlemen.
How about it’s cousin, cilantro. Heads up, you’re gonna fall in love. I’m not even going to comment on these, they speak for themselves. And, I think you’d get annoyed with my bits. Essentially cilantro is a show off.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory capacities that may help symptoms of arthritis
- Contains protective agents against bacterial infection from Salmonella in food products
- Acts to increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind), and reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
- Relieves gas, prevents flatulence and acts as an overall digestive aid
- Wards off urinary tract infections
- Helps reduce feelings of nausea
- Eases hormonal mood swings associated with menstruation
- Has been shown to reduce menstrual cramping.
- Adds fiber to the digestive tract
- A source of iron, magnesium, and is helpful in fighting anemia
- Gives relief for diarrhea, especially if caused by microbial or fungal infections
- Helps promote healthy liver function.
- Reduces minor swelling
- Strong general antioxidant properties
- Disinfects and helps detoxify the body
- Stimulates the endocrine glands
- Helps with insulin secretion and lowers blood sugar
- Acts as a natural anti-septic and anti-fungal agent for skin disorders like fungal infections and eczema
- Contains immune-boosting properties
- Acts as an expectorant
- Helps ease conjunctivitis, as well as eye-aging, macular degeneration, and other stressors on the eyes.