- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peel removed and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 lbs chicken (can choose thighs, breasts, or even a rotisserie chicken, shredded)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime, + extra lime wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves + extra for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom pan or dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add the onions, peppers, cumin, coriander, chili powder, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Add 1 can of the beans and, using a potato masher (or a handheld blender) mash the beans in the pot, creating a thicker texture.
- Stir in the remaining beans, shredded chicken, lime juice and zest and bring to a boil. If you prefer a chili with more broth, add 1-2 cups of water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and keep on a low simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with additional lime wedges and cilantro.